Fighting between two rival military units in Sudan has continued despite a renewed ceasefire agreement between the two sides as the United States spoke of millions of dollars in aid for the stricken country.
The paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) launched an attack on an army airbase north of the capital Khartoum on Monday night shortly after the ceasefire began, a local journalist told the DPA news agency.
According to media reports, there were also overnight airstrikes and artillery fire in and around the capital.
In the early hours of Tuesday morning, however, the situation appeared to be calm.
Representatives of the Sudanese army and the RSF had agreed on a ceasefire in talks on Saturday to take effect at 9.45pm on Monday.
Both sides had signed a corresponding deal brokered by the US and Saudi Arabia.
In the weeks before, the army and the RSF had repeatedly broken verbally agreed ceasefires.
Last week the US government announced it was providing Sudan and its neighbouring countries with an additional $US245 million ($A371 million) in humanitarian assistance.
“With this funding, our humanitarian partners can respond to the new needs arising from the current conflict, which has displaced approximately 840,000 people within the country and forced another 250,000 to flee since April 15,” US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said.
A long-simmering power struggle in the country escalated violently on April 15.
The army under the command of de facto president Abdel Fattah al-Burhan is fighting the paramilitary units of his former deputy Mohammed Hamdan Daglo.
The two generals seized power together in 2021, but later fell out.