“Tom is also doing well in his recovery but will miss the match against Richmond after entering the AFL’s HIA (head injury assessment) protocols. He will continue to be monitored closely.”
The injury ravaged Tigers have 15 players on their injury list and face the prospect this week of having no Richmond-listed player playing in their VFL team.
There are presently likely to be four fit players outside the starting 22 selected to take on Sydney on Friday night in Adelaide.
The AFL team would typically take four travelling emergencies for an interstate game and with the Richmond VFL side playing at the same time as the AFL team the Tigers might not have any players left for their VFL team which will be fully reliant on top up players. There might be one AFL player at best.
Co-captain Toby Nankervis has no time frame yet for a return from ankle syndesmosis surgery.
Jack Riewoldt, who was rested from the weekend’s loss, will come straight back in at full-forward to replace Lynch.
Maurice Rioli jnr is likely to make a quick return to the senior team after being dropped last week. Jack Ross and Thomson Dow have had reasonable form in the VFL and will be in contention to be picked.
With Nankervis out, the Tigers will look at a range of options from 206-centimetre forward-ruck Samson Ryan the obvious first choice. But Richmond have always been inventive with their rucks, with Marlion Pickett often being used as a second ruck.
Ben Miller and Noah Balta have both been used in the ruck in the past as well.
Key backman Josh Gibcus is closing on a return to playing, possibly after the Melbourne game in round six, but given he has not played football it would be a question of how soon he is brought into the senior team.
Nathan Broad is two weeks into his four match ban for a sling tackle so will be available after the Melbourne game.
Another setback for North Melbourne’s Tarryn Thomas
North Melbourne midfielder Tarryn Thomas has posted vision on social media that appeared to show him driving irresponsibly with a caption indicating he was “living his best life”.
The 22-year-old remains on enforced leave from the club due to behavioural issues and is still facing a charge of “threatening to release an intimate image” with his court hearing adjourned last week until July 18.
He has not been part of the club’s football program for the past three weeks and was returning from a short break over Easter on Monday night.
Thomas is undertaking an education process with the club still hopeful he can improve his behaviour and return to the football program although Kangaroos’ CEO Jen Watt said last week that support was not unlimited.
The Kangaroos’ said in a statement on Tuesday night: “North Melbourne is aware of a social media post by Tarryn Thomas from Monday night.
“Thomas has been away from the AFL program for the past three weeks and will continue to spend time away from the club.
“The club continues to assess Thomas’ progress towards meeting club and community expectations. He has not made adequate progress to be returned into the club environment at this stage.”
List of players who’ve copped racial abuse grows
AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has spoken out against the latest examples of “abhorrent racist remarks” directed at some of the league’s stars.
The league backed the Adelaide Crows on Monday in condemning the abuse livewire forward Izak Rankine received, while on Tuesday Brisbane Lions star Charlie Cameron and Fremantle players Nathan Wilson and Michael Walters were also named as having been vilified.
McLachlan said he was “disgusted” by the vilification.
In a statement on Tuesday night, McLachlan said the AFL had been notified once again after racist and homophobic online attacks directed at the Fremantle pair.
The AFL has announced it will support those impacted, while the AFLIU (AFL Integrity Unit) and club officials investigate the matter in an effort to identify the perpetrators.
“This has to stop,” McLachlan said. “It not only hurts the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander players targeted but all indigenous players and players of colour across the league, as well as their families, their teammates and friends. We strongly support all our players and condemn the racial vilification of anyone in football and anyone in the wider community.
“The AFL wants to make clear, there is no place in our game for anyone who vilifies our players.”
Keep up to date with the best AFL coverage in the country. Sign up for the Real Footy newsletter.